This week on The One You Feed we have Kino MacGregor.
We interviewed Kino after one of her weekend yoga retreats that she held in Columbus. We talked upstairs in a loft above the meeting space. She was warm, engaging and wise.
She is an international yoga teacher, author of two books, producer of six Ashtanga Yoga DVDs, writer, vlogger, world traveler, co-founder of Miami Life Center (www.miamilifecenter.com) and founder of Miami Yoga Magazine (www.miamiyogamagazine.com). Her YouTube channel reached more than 2 million views within the last year(www.youtube.com/kinoyoga). She is one of a select group of people to receive the Certification to teach Ashtanga Yoga by its founder Sri K. Pattabhi Jois in Mysore, India and practices through the Fourth Series of Ashtanga Yoga.
Without any background in movement training Kino tried her first yoga class when she was nineteen. Three years later, she joined Govinda Kai’s Mysore-style classes in New York City and became a dedicated Ashtanga yoga practitioner. After seven months of traditional Ashtanga practice Kino traveled to Mysore, India to meet her true teacher, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois (“Guruji”). Upon her return she began real self-practice by practicing alone and devoting herself entirely to the study and teaching of Ashtanga yoga. After seven years of consistent trips to Mysore, at the age of 29, she received from Guruji the Certification to teach Ashtanga yoga and has since worked to pass on the inspiration to practice to countless others.
In This Interview Kino and I Discuss...
- The One You Feed parable.
- Keeping your peace of mind regardless of the circumstances.
- How hard yoga can be.
- How yoga intentionally challenges your nervous system.
- Save Time, Save Money and Support the Show!! Go to Harry's and Use Promo Code: oneyoufeed to get $5 off your first order.
- Retraining the habit pattern of your nervous system.
- Walking the middle path.
- Not craving pleasure and pushing away pain.
- Taking what you learn during yoga out into the world.
- The value of surrendering to a method.
- Finding a genuine teacher.
- Yoga as a spiritual practice.
- Yoga and meditation in a secular setting.
- Using physical limits as a mirror for the inner journey.
- Her story of becoming a yoga teacher.
- Her depression, searching and questioning.
- Learning to not force everything.
- Meeting her teacher.
- The definition of truth as "what works".
- How what works one day may not work the next day.
- The multiple versions of the truth.
- The paradox of ambition versus acceptance.
- Balancing efforts between striving and not attachment to results.
- How depression can be the ultimate quitting.
- That love doesn’t make the pain go away but love is still bigger.
Kino MacGregor Links
Kino MacGregor homepage
Yoga for Beginners with Kino
Ashtanga Yoga:Primary Series with Kino MacGregor
Ashtanga Yoga: Intermediate Series with Kino MacGregor
The Power of Ashtanga Yoga: Developing a Practice That Will Bring You Strength, Flexibility, and Inner Peace
Sacred Fire: My Journey Into Ashtanga Yoga
Kino MacGregor You Tube channel
Kino MacGregor on Twitter
Some of our most popular interviews you might also enjoy:
Mike Scott of the Waterboys
Todd Henry- author of Die Empty
Randy Scott Hyde